Building collapse in Istanbul: death toll rises to 16 Turkey 09:53

Sergio Conner
February 11, 2019

The death toll in the residential building collapse in the Turkish city of Istanbul has climbed to 18, Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said on Saturday. In January 2017, two people died when another building collapsed in a working class part of the city. The governor urged citizens to observe silence in the area of rescue operations and not cause disturbances for the rescuers.

The local media further reported that the three storeys out of the total eight in the apartment were built illegally and without the permission of municipal authorities.

The building in Istanbul's mostly-residential Kartal district collapsed on Wednesday.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, officials and hundreds of people attended the funeral Saturday. Five other relatives, including two children, are among the 13 people hospitalized in the collapse.

The Amir HH Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al Thani on sent a cable of condolences to Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on the deaths of several people in a building collapse in Istanbul, wishing the injured a speedy recovery.

Athletic Bilbao hold Barcelona at San Mames
As a result, Barca coach Ernesto Valverde made first change in the 63rd minute as Carles Alena came on for Vidal in a straight swap in midfield.

Nickell Robey-Coleman fined $26K for Super Bowl hit
My father was a tough, hard-nosed guy who, you know, didn't have a father and pushed me to limits I never thought I'd get to. Throughout Edelman's career, he continues to prove he plays at another level during the postseason.

China's embassy in Turkey dismisses claim of death of Uygur man
Adrian Zenz, lecturer at the European School of Culture and Theology, said the comments from Turkey are a "major new development".

Turkey's president says there are "many lessons to learn" from the collapse of a residential building in Istanbul where at least 17 people have died. He said the government would take "determined" steps after investigators complete their work and called for speedy urban renewal.

Officials haven't disclosed how many people are still unaccounted for.

Turkish prosecutors have opened an investigation into the incident.

Suleyman Soylu said early Saturday that another body had been found in the rubble.

Turkey's health minister says the number of dead from the collapsed eight-story building in Istanbul has risen to 15. Seven of the injured were still in serious condition on Saturday.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER