Couple, homeless man charged with faking story that earned $400K in donations

Sergio Conner
November 15, 2018

A homeless man and a New Jersey couple may face charges in connection with allegations that they defrauded donors out of more than $400,000.

According to NBC Philadelphia, a source familiar with the case says Mark D'Amico, his girlfriend, Kate McClure, and Johnny Bobbitt will face charges that include conspiracy and theft by deception.

Now, prosecutors told WCAU that the D'Amico, McClure and Bobbitt all conspired together in the hopes of getting and diving up the cash.

A New Jersey couple who made national headlines after raising almost half a million dollars for a homeless man through a GoFundMe page is facing criminal charges.

The story went viral on social media a year ago.

Approximately $400,000 was raised on his behalf.

In September, officers raided the couples' home, seizing the BMW, financial statements, along with jewelry and cash.

Former England, Chelsea Midfielder Joe Cole Retires
Joe Cole has described his 20-year career as "a dream come true" after announcing his retirement from football at the age of 37. Collecting the ball with his back to goal 25 yards out, he beat three defenders before shooting past the goalkeeper.

Giants vs. 49ers: Statistics, numbers and broken records
Eli Manning showed he still has what it takes to lead the kind of game-winning drive that earned him two Super Bowl MVP awards. His passer rating was 110.7 and no doubt he staves off talk that he will lose his starting job, at least for another week.

Saudi public prosecutor seeks death penalty in Khashoggi murder case
The body was dismembered and then handed over to a local collaborator, the official added, without giving the location of the body.

But in August Bobbitt filed a lawsuit claiming McClure and D'Amico had been spending their money on themselves.

The story first began raising suspicion when Bobbitt sued the couple over the GoFundMe money, saying they were using it as a "personal piggy bank".

Now, investigators say it was all a ploy to raise money.

In recent months, Bobbitt and his attorneys had accused the couple of mismanaging a large portion of the donations. The Burlington County Prosecutor's office is expected to make an announcement in the case Thursday, according to multiple reports.

D'Amico has said Bobbitt spent $25,000 in less than two weeks in December on drugs, in addition to paying overdue legal bills and sending money to his family.

The money raised reportedly is all gone although it's unclear where it went.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER