Bodies Found After Apartment Buildings Collapse In Marseille, France

Sergio Conner
November 8, 2018

Images taken before the collapse show large cracks in the facade of number 63; a former resident, retired college lecturer Mark Mason, told the Guardian he had been forced to sell his flat in the building to the council in 2012 under a compulsory purchase order after the first storey floor collapsed and chunks of masonry began falling from the building.

Mr Tarabeux said: "It is very, very likely to be five people".

A fifth body was recovered on Wednesday morning under rubble of the dilapidated buildings, which crumbled suddenly on Monday morning in Noailles, a working-class district in the heart of the port city.

A third adjoining building partially collapsed on Monday night.

Mr Castaner said: "During the first clearing operations we've found some pockets of air that means we still have some hope of finding and identifying a survivor".

Firefighters in the southern French city of Marseille said Tuesday they found a second body in the ruins of two buildings that collapsed a day ago. It was not immediately clear why they collapsed, or how many people the apartment building housed.

"People died for nothing, even though we knew".

Telstra executive Robyn Denholm quits to be Tesla chairman
The settlement requires Tesla to install an independent chairman, among other penalties. The move scotches reports that James Murdoch might have been appointed to the job.

Web pioneer wants new contract for internet
As such, Berners-Lee, with backing from industry, politicians and governments, has this week launched a new Contract for the Web . So the web remains open and a global public resource for people everywhere, now and in the future.

Microsoft is making PUBG and Pro Evolution soccer 2019 free on Xbox
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds aka PUBG might finally release on the PS4 in December, according to multiple reports. It is believed that this freebie offer is somehow tied to further PUBG announcements expected at the show.

Rescue work has been hampered by heavy rain, and evidence suggests the collapse has destabilised neighbouring buildings.

The news service reports that nine of that building's 10 units were occupied, with a shop filling the lower level. The others were so dilapidated they had been condemned and were boarded up, though locals said they were frequently used by squatters. The disaster, he added, was "100 percent the fault of city hall".

Abdou Ali, 34, came in search of his mother after she did not come to collect her youngest son from school on Monday afternoon.

"It could have been me", the 25-year-old philosophy student said, visibly shaken.

The collapse of two houses occurred on the morning of November 5, Aubagne street in the centre of Marseille.

According 2015, about 100 thousand inhabitants of Marseille, live in housing that threatens their health or safety.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER