Prosecutors won't charge Backstreet Boy Nick Carter

Joann Johnston
September 12, 2018

Backstreet Boys star Nick Carter will not be charged for a sexual assault accusation from 2003.

The statue of limitations refers to a set timeframe when legal action must be taken for proceedings to take place, but in this case that timeframe had expired in 2013.

Previously, Melissa had alleged in a blog post that Nick performed oral sex on her without her consent and then made her perform a reciprocal act on him. She claims that he forced her into a sex act, before forcing her to have intercourse.

Carter, 38, denied the allegations at the time in a statement provided to CNN.

He said: "God give us peace during this time".

Nick added that he 'was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally'.

Carter said in November that he was "shocked and saddened" when Schuman said he had invited her to his Santa Monica apartment in 2003 and sexually assaulted her.

Apple leaks iPhone XS, XS Max and XR names
While similar in size to the iPhone 8 Plus, the Xs Max will employ a steel chassis opposed to aluminum. Apple's market capitalization has passed $1 trillion and the company needs to sustain revenue growth.

Intensifying Hurricane Florence could strike United States southeast
Governors in the Carolinas and Virginia already had declared emergencies, and some sought federal aid as well. The farther south the center of Florence is able to move, the windier it will be here in central Georgia.

‘Extremely dangerous’ Hurricane Florence is now packing winds of 220 km/h
Florence is being speculated to be the most intense hurricane to hit the area in close to 30 years, since Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Florence could hit the Carolinas harder than any hurricane since Hazel packed 130 miles per hour (209 kph) winds in 1954.

The charge evaluation worksheet stated that, because the statute of limitations had passed, "an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the evidence is not warranted and the matter is declined".

After fans started responding with their condolences, Carter responded to one tweet, revealing that the couple - who have a 2-year-old son, Odin - had been expecting a little girl.

California scrapped its statute of limitations for rape in 2016, and Schuman told the Associated Press it was unfortunate that the state had not made the move retroactively to accommodate victims like her.

The singer wrote: "This will be hard, but for the love of my fans here in Lima I'll be on the stage tonight".

An attorney for Carter, whose band is now playing a long-term engagement in Las Vegas, said in a statement today that the singer was "happy to put the matter behind him".

His lawyer, Michael Holtz, said in a statement: "Nick has denied these allegations ever since he first learned of them previous year, and was confident the district attorney would conclude that there was no basis to pursue charges against him". It gives me great solace to know that my testimony is fully documented, investigated and sealed for the future if needed by law enforcement. He is happy to put this matter behind him, ' the statement concluded.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER