McArthur charged with 8th murder count

Sergio Conner
April 16, 2018

A mystery dead man from a disturbing photo released by police finally has a name as investigators laid an eighth murder charge against alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.

Idsinga said Kanagaratnam was never reported missing and was not identified until after police released an image that generated hundreds of tips.

The new charge is for the death of Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam, who arrived in Canada from Sri Lanka in 2010.

Police believe Kanagaratnam was killed between September 3 and December 14, 2015.

Little more than one month after releasing a digitally altered photo of the victim, police identified the man as Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam.

"I think we've all seen in the media so-called experts who tell us that serial killers don't start in their late fifties", Idsinga says.

Most of the victims went missing from or had ties to Toronto's LGBTQ community.

At a Monday morning press conference, Det-Sgt Hank Idsinga said Kanagaratnam, 37, moved to Canada from Sri Lanka in 2010 and had been living in Scarborough.

Idsinga said investigators confirmed his identity with the help of an "international agency" but wouldn't expand on that.

Police have said they plan to search at least 70 more properties where they believe McArthur, a self-employed landscaper, worked. Later that month, McArthur was charged with the murders of Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi, and Dean Lisowick.

Shenmue 1&2 are getting a current gen release
The third installment in the series ran a successful Kickstarter campaign and is expected to be out later this year. Pre-orders for the re-release are already live, but a final release date has yet to be announced.

ZTE pose a threat to United Kingdom national security warns the NCSC
Now, the United States government has banned ZTE from using the hardware or software from the American companies. While the company went ahead with the launch, there is no announcement about the AT&T partnership.

China's Weibo Reverses Gay Content Ban in Surprise Win for LGBT Community
China has banned homosexual content on social media platform Weibo and users are not taking it lying down. In one post that was liked some 60,000 times, a woman in Shanghai wrote: "I am the mother of a gay son".

"This doesn't quite fit the profile we have seen before...we don't know how he had contact with Bruce McArthur".

"We have a lot of searches still to do", he said.

Idsinga said Kanagaratnam's remains were found at a home McArthur used as storage for his landscaping business. "But if we listen to these experts, we'd be looking for a brown-skinned, 35 year-old male".

There is now no evidence to connect the cases to McArthur, but Idsinga has said he "wouldn't be surprised" if he is linked to more killings.

They have also said their investigation could reach as far back as 1975.

He emphasized, however, that police have not uncovered any evidence to suggest that McArthur's alleged killing spree began before 2010 when Navaratnam is believed to have died.

The first probe - named Project Houston - was launched in 2012 to investigate the disappearances of Faizi, Kayhan and Navaratnam.

Police said there are now no known links between Kanagaratnam and the "Gay Village" of Toronto which other victims are known to have visited.

Police arrested Mr McArthur on 18 January.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER