Nigeria's President says disagreement in Boko Haram delaying Chibok girls release

Sergio Conner
April 14, 2018

"President Buhari re-affirms that the government remains focused and determined to see the girls return to their homes, urging the parents to be expectant of more good news in due course".

In February, one faction kidnapped more than 100 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi, previously untouched by the war.

President Muhammadu Buhari says internal differences among Boko Haram insurgents is delaying negotiations for the release of remaining Chibok Girls.

The Boko Haram conflict is in its tenth year, but shows little sign of ending.

In a statement by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said President Buhari who joined the Borno State Government, parents of the children and Nigerians in commemorating the fourth anniversary of the sad incident, prayed that the event at the daughters' school in their honour will go well.

All of the girls have now been reunited with their families after they were freed by the terror group last month.

Thunder suspends play-by-play man for 'offensive' remark during Wednesday's game
BC-BKN-Thunder-Davis, 140Thunder play-by-play man Davis suspended 1 game for commentAP Photo OKSO108Eds: APNewsNow. Its first playoff game is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

CWG 2018: Manika-Mouma bag maiden doubles silver
With this, she became the first Indian woman to win table tennis gold in women's singles at Commonwealth Games. Harmeet Desai and Sanil Shetty after losing in the semifinal will play for bronze medal on Saturday.

Albany County honors crime victims
Thomas Lynn is a government and education reporter for The Valdosta Daily Times. Southern District Attorney Brad Shealy also spoke at the ceremony.

Boko Haram factional leader Abubakar Shekau claims responsibility in a video released on May 5 and vows to sell the girls as slave brides.

"The four-year anniversary of the Chibok abduction reminds us that children in northeastern Nigeria continue to come under attack at a shocking scale", the statement quoted UNICEF representative in Nigeria Mohamed Malick Fall as saying. "They are consistently targeted and exposed to brutal violence in their homes, schools and public places", it said. Five reportedly died, while one girl - the only Christian in the group - is still being held.

Boko Haram has used kidnapping as a weapon of war during the conflict, seizing women and girls to act as sex slaves or suicide bombers, and men and boys to fight.

Some of the girls were freed past year following negotiation talks between the Nigerian government and Boko Haram.

The post Chibok Parents Mark Four Years After Abduction Of Schoolgirls appeared first on Channels Television.

"Four years on from that tragic incident, more than 100 of the Chibok girls have yet to be returned to their families and the United Nations children's agency continues to call for their release". "Children have the right to education and protection, and the classroom must be a place where they are safe from harm".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER