Fifth grader unknowingly passes out medical marijuana gummies at school

Alfred Osborne
January 23, 2018

A nine-year-old Albuquerque, New Mexico student has been suspended after unknowingly bringing edible marijuana sweets to class and sharing them with a group of fellow students. The girl ate them and started to feel dizzy, Albuquerque School of Excellence Dean of Elementary School Students Kristy Del Curto told local media.

A 9-year-old Albuquerque student mistook marijuana gummies similar to these with candy and shared them with several friends.

"She had this box, it had a label on it that said 'Incredibles.' We just thought it was ordinary gummies", said one of the students who ate the edibles.

A 9-year-old girl unwittingly ate, and handed out to other classmates, THC-laced candy, school officials said.

"I started feeling really dizzy".

Dr Barry Ramo told KOAT News the edibles can be more potent than regular marijuana.

"She thought she was sharing candy, and if you saw the picture on the box, it did look like candy", Del Curto said.

Serging forward: Aguero treble restores Man City's 12-point lead at top
It is a lot of games to play and hard games, it is important to show the team is already there, it is still there. However, Benitez said: "I'm not anxious by the criticism".

Kun's hat-trick maintains City's lead at top
All weighed in with their fair share of goals in a side that was built to attack at pace. Jacob Murphy replied for Newcastle as City ran out 3-1 winners at the Etihad Stadium.

Waymo to expand its self-driving testing program to Atlanta
The test program has seen the Waymo fleet cover 4 million miles , with a million of those driven in the last six months of 2017. Georgia is set to be the seventh state for Waymo's tests.

School authorities called 911 after they learnt what the gummy bears were made up of and paramedics monitored all the students to make sure they were not having a unsafe reaction.

"The first thing that came to my mind is irresponsible parents because that's unsafe", the student's father said.

Curto said she does not believe the fifth grader knew the gummies were laced, but the child was suspended for a week regardless. The nine-year-old who accidentally shared the edibles with her classmates nearly certainly doesn't meet the above criteria.

But it was not long before she realised they were not your average gummies.

"All those lessons I took about not taking drugs were all for nothing".

"We would like to remind all students and parents to be cautious about food/drink sharing. and we would like our community to be alert with drugs and any edibles that may or could be in different formats", the school wrote. As part of school policy, they do not allow students to share anything with other students that they've brought from home.

Incredibles brand medical marijuana later told the TV station they do not make gummy bears, and suspect someone counterfeited the logo.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER